As we continue to celebrate the historical resurrection of Jesus. I thought it would be fun to ask “what if?”
I play this game with my kids. What if you could be/have/do this or that.
My son has reached the point in his life where he asks lots of questions. Anyone with kids knows what that is like so I simply returned the favor.
Recently, I point blank asked him: What if Jesus did not actually rise on the third day as Christians celebrate? (in truth the evidence is overwhelmingly supportive of it)
His response surprised me. He thought for a few seconds and asked. Daddy, why would we pray then?
To my knowledge, my son has not read the verse in the Bible 1 Corinthians 15:17, “If Christ has not been raised, then your faith is useless…” He came up with this answer on his own.
Then I asked him a more personal question: What if mommy and daddy split up? His immediate answer – “I would pray you did not.” Can you believe his faith!?
So I’d like to ask you, what if Jesus did not raise from the grave? Would the kingdom of my marriage look differently? Would yours?
If Christ has not risen then prayer is not effective.
- motto: couples that pray together stay together means the “relational intimacy” with your mate resembles your “spiritual intimacy” with your heavenly Father (or lack of)
- prayer warriors are powerfully effective & guard against dead religion by actively receiving God’s intimate counsel and growing together
- Peter the disciple spoke a potent promise for all marriages: communication with your mate is linked to communication with God
Likewise, wives.. do good and do not fear anything.. likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way… since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered.
~1 Peter 3:1-7 (emphasis)
If Christ has not risen then peace is not possible.
- don’t get it twisted – the peace God offers looks nothing like the fake “peace” the world offers
- the heart of a praying couple is marked by peace & protection because it is fought for by Jesus’ bloody death & resurrection
- a powerful marriage doesn’t need permission to rest & won’t feel forced
Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.
If Christ has not risen then God’s presence is not real.
- if Jesus remains in the grave then mistakes were made and faith in Him is indeed useless
- if Christ is not raised then the Spirit of God is not real and there is no freedom
- marriage has no sustainable hope without the powerful presence of Almighty God
Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.
~ 2 Corinthians 3:17
So I will leave you with this thought from Paul’s words in 1 Corinthians 15:56-58:
The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.
If Christ has not risen, then I build a kingdom on sinking sand. I lead my family astray and waste my time. In the end, I will have nothing to show for my marriage and family if hell, death, and heaven are not within God’s kingdom or authority.
But… what if Christ is risen? Then I am more than a conqueror!
The kingdom of my marriage is built on Christ the Rock. As Eldredge puts it, my kingdom is within “the range of my effective will.” What I say goes in my kingdom & household. I don’t need anyone’s permission to be a hero, to break strongholds, to bring healing, or to rescue my beauty.
A glorious marriage is completely within my reach (and yours) through His resurrection power! Yes! Christ is risen! He is risen indeed!